Sunday, August 27, 2017

Pre-GenCon 50

I finally made it to GenCon. It was 2011 since I was last there. Even though I have been wanting to go, things just didn't line up. Until now. I went with my good friend Jason. We drove up Wednesday in hopes of getting my badge before the crowd gets too crazy. I was foolish enough to not have my badge sent and had it waiting at Will Call. Not smart, but whatever. Once we rolled into town and checked into the hotel, it was time to walk over to the convention center and start standing in line. Standing in line with an expect 70,000 attendees sounded like a very bad scene, but to GenCon and the convention center staff getting my badge went rather quickly. At first I saw the line and thought I was going to be there for hours, but it was only minutes and I was free to enjoy. So, we walked around a little. The green library was near the big traffic circle I had to walk by every day to get from convention to hotel. I love this idea. KC has smaller ones that individuals make themselves. This is the first time seeing one created by the city. I assume it was the city anyway. The big obelisk was at the center of the before mention traffic circle. I like the architecture and statuary of downtown Indy.


After badges were secure it was time to get some food. There are a lot of choices near our hotel and we just wandered until something struck us. We found a Chicago style pizza place and decided we have walked far enough. I can't remember the name of the place, but they had this cool sign. Pizza was good and the staff friendly. We noticed some people playing a card game near by and knew we were home.

After a long drive getting there, walking around, and being full from dinner, we decided it was time to go back to the hotel and do some gaming. I was hoping we would have a lot of people gaming or looking to start a game with others. This was not the case. People in our hotel gamed in their little pods and that was that. So, Jason and I played the only two player capable game we had - Tiny Epic Quest. I had never played before and thought it sounded like fun. Just like any other Tiny Epic game, there is a lot in those little boxes. Pictured is the Item Rack with all the tools available attached. I never did get any of these items, but it was cool seeing them displayed like this. As you will notice as I talk about the games I played at GenCon, I rarely win. This game was no exception. I lost. It wasn't close, but I had a good time.

After finishing our game and failing to join any other game going on, we decided that was enough for the day. We wanted to get an early jump on GenCon 50. So, we called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment